On November 4, 2014, Alameda voters approved Measure I, a $179.5 million facilities bond for the Alameda Unified School District. This bond was based on the 2014 Facilities Master Plan (PDF), which identified $590 million worth of renovations, modernizations, and repairs needed in AUSD's school sites.
Bond project work began in the summer of 2015. According to the schedule approved by the Board of Education in March, 2015, the first $90 million in funds would be used to renovate and modernize the school district's elementary, middle, and charter schools, while design work begins on renovations to Encinal High School and Alameda High School. Subsequent projects will be funded as more of the bond funds are received through 2019.
To help our community get a quick overview of the many exciting projects funded by the Measure I Bond Program, we have created an easy to use "flip book" of the program's highlights. Just click on the button below, and then use the arrows to move forward and backwards through the pages.
Safety & Security
During the 2013-2014 Facility Master Plan process, school staff members and families expressed a strong desire for better security at the school sites. Beginning in 2015, the Safety and Security Committee began meeting to discuss ways of upgrading the school sites, including updating not only fencing but door locks, key systems, alarm and communication systems, drop-off areas and pick-up zones, and accessibility provisions.
As a result of these conversations, the district has included a number of new safety features in our school designs, including new door locks and creating single points of entries at our schools. The final reports are available below.
AUSD SAFETY AND SECURITY STANDARDS
- AUSD Safety and Security Standards This amended version was approved by the Board of Education on February 28, 2017, and changed the previous District standard of push-button locks to keyed double-sided locks.
- February 28, 2017 Board of Education Item
- February 28, 2017 Board of Education Meeting Minutes
- AUSD Safety and Security Standards This version was approved by the Board of Education on October 27, 2015.
- October 27, 2015 Presentation to the Board of Education