TEACHING TOLERANCE MATERIALS
Social Justice Standards: The Teaching Tolerance Anti-Bias Framework (PDF): Set of anchor standards and age-appropriate learning outcomes divided into four domains – identity, diversity, justice, and action.
- Critical Practices for Anti-Bias Education
- Teaching Tolerance Student Tasks: ‘Do Something’ performance tasks ask students to demonstrate their anti-bias awareness and civic competency by applying their literacy and social justice knowledge in an authentic, real-world context. “Write to the Source” performance tasks and rubrics ask students to rely on textual evidence when responding to writing prompts about identity, diversity, justice, and action.
- Teaching Strategies: Includes multiple resources within categories such as Exploring Texts Through Read Alouds, Word Work, Close and Critical Reading, and Community Inquiry. Resources are organized by grade level. Examples:
- Liberation Literature and Counter-narratives (Grades K-2)
- Reading Against the Grain (Grades 6-12)
- Four Perspectives (Grades 6-12)
- Teaching Tolerance Film Kits (FREE for use in K-12 schools and other non-profit organizations)
- Responding to Hate and Bias at School A Guide for Administrators, Counselors, and Teachers from Teaching Tolerance
ANTI-DEFAMATION LEAGUE MATERIALS
Anti-Defamation League Resource Page Includes classroom tips and strategies, definitions and language, discussion/activity guides, historical information, holidays and events, and podcasts and webinars. Examples include:
FACING HISTORY MATERIALS
Teaching Strategies from Facing History and Ourselves searchable by strategy type. Examples:
Facing History and Ourselves Resources Includes blogs, books, images, pages, readings, videos, and webinars.
ANTI-ASIAN BIAS RESOURCES
Learning for Justice: Addressing the Anti-Asian Bias (lesson plans)
Learning for Justice: “We Still Haven’t Learned from This” (Japanese internment camps resources)
Smithsonian Asian Pacific American Center: “Addressing Anti-Asian Racism with Students”
Liz Kleinrock: “How to Talk to Teach Kids to Talk about Taboo Topics” (TED Talk)
Immigrant History Initiative: “Talking to Kids about Asian American Identity and Racism”
Smithsonian APA Center: “We are not a stereotype: Breaking down APA bias”
- Anti-Muslim Bigotry and Being an Ally (lesson plan)
- Education Resources on Refugees, Muslim People and Anti-Muslim Bigotry (collection of lesson plans, Table Talks, teaching tools, children’s books, etc.)
- Helping Students Make Sense of News Stories about Bias and Injustice (teaching tool)
- Anti-Racist Resources from Future Ready Librarians (Google Doc Compilation)
- National Education Association (NEA) Unite Against Hate! Resources
- Shoah Foundation (USC): The Institute for Visual History and Education Includes video testimonies of survivors and a wealth of resources for middle and high school educators. Features the '100 Days to Inspire Respect' program with daily resources.
- CharlottesvilleCurriculum - Anti-racist education resources featured on "share my lesson plan" by the American Federation of Teachers.
- Ten Ways to Fight Hate: A Community Response Guide